Prep Kit C contains 2 sachets of PicoPrep and 1 sachet of Glycoprep-C
- Please read and follow the instructions on this sheet rather than those on the bowel prep box/sachet.
- The success of your colonoscopy is highly dependent on your bowel being clear of all waste. A poor preparation can result in important findings being missed or the procedure needing to be repeated
- As outlined below your preparation for colonoscopy involves (i) dietary changes and (ii) bowel preparation medication.
- Once you have started the medication loose bowel actions usually occur within 1-2 hours and you are advised to remain close to a toilet.
TWO DAYS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
- Stop any iron supplements
- Stop eating seeds, grains, pips, fruit with skin
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
(i) Diet – You are allowed to eat a light breakfast and lunch with the following foods only:
White bread with butter/honey
Custard / clear jelly
‘Rice Bubbles’ cereal
Chicken and white fish (both skinless)
Plain rice crackers
Eggs, Milk, Cheese
Peeled and cooked potato/pumpkin
- After lunch you should have NO SOLID FOODS and only APPROVED clear liquids until you begin fasting. APPROVED clear liquids include: water, clear broth, clear cordials, clear apple juice, lemonade, soda water, sports drinks and black tea/coffee.
(ii) Bowel Preparation Medication
- At 6pm (PicoPrep) – Add the entire contents of ONE sachet of Picoprep to a glass of warm water (250ml). This can be chilled before drinking. Drink slowly but completely. This should be followed by another 1-2 glasses of APPROVED clear liquids.
ON THE DAY of your procedure
- At 7am (Glycoprep-C) – Add the entire contents of the Glycoprep-C sachet to 1 litre of warm water. This can be chilled prior to drinking. Drink the entire litre over the next 1-2 hours (approximately 1 glass every 15-30 minutes). Slow down the rate if you feel nauseated.
- At 9am (PicoPrep)- Add the entire contents of the SECOND sachet of Picoprep to a glass of warm water (250ml). This can be chilled before drinking. Drink slowly but completely. This should be followed by another 1-2 glasses of water or APPROVED clear liquids to avoid dehydration.
- Fast (nothing to eat or drink, no chewing gum/mints) from 11am.
CAUTION: Bowel preparation can interfere with the oral contraceptive pill. Please discuss with your doctor if you have any concerns.